from Roman Times to 1949.
One parish, one church, four ancient manors, and many families.
Bearing in mind the proximity of a Roman road,which largely forms the
eastern boundary of the parish,there is surprisingly little archaeological
evidence for the period from 55BC to 410AD.
It is no surprise that from the withdrawal of Roman forces from Britain
[which is often dated to 410AD but which probably started somewhat earlier]
until the start of the Anglian occupation of this part of Herefordshire
circa 600AD,there is largely an archaeological,and documentary,silence
in our immediate area.Thereafter the Anglian invasion gradually moved
westwards reaching what was to come to be known as Eardisland circa
The earliest likely date of the building of a church at Eardisland is
circa 950AD,although it must be stressed that there is no archaeological
or documentary evidence of this.
By the time of the Battle of Hastings in 1066 the lands in this vicinity
were held by Morcar,Earl of Northumbria:the administrative structures
later known as the "manors" of Eardisland, Burton,Hinton and
Twyford would have coalesced well before then;they lay within the boundaries
of the parish administered for/by the church of St Mary the Virgin,Eardisland.When
that (religious) administration settled within recognised boundaries
is not known.
The Norman Conquest took its course-without major struggle in our immediate
area it is thought.In 1086 King William 1 caused what soon became known
as the Domesday Book to be compiled.Eardisland does not appear there
by name (Burton,Hinton and Twyford not at all),but it is generally accepted
that Eardisland is the second of the two places listed as "Lene"
in this locality.
The story of Eardisland now unfolds-touched quite directly from time
to time by the major events of English history,and indeed by Royalty
Separate web-pages can now be accessed for the CHURCH,
and shortly, BURTON, HINTON, TWYFORD, EARDISLAND itself, and many FAMILIES to be added as research progresses from 2008 onwards.
Last revision of this page - pm18 July 2008